The Benefits of Slate
The principal difference between slate and other stones is the natural cleavage construction of the slate. This permits it to be split in one direction into sheets of various thicknesses. It is cut and trimmed mostly by hand labor into the required sizes and thicknesses.
Today, slate is shipped from every continent producing a wide variety of beautiful colors, sizes, and thicknesses for use in roofing and other projects. Like most types of roofing, slate has some advantages and disadvantages each should be explored before choosing, installing or repairing a slate roof.
A slate roof is really a custom-made job and its use gives a character to a building unlike that of any other roofing. Slate quarried for roofing is of dense, sound rock and is exceedingly tough and durable. Some slate roofs in Chicago have been on for over a hundred years. Roofing slate is also split to various thicknesses
When properly installed by an experienced professional, slate roof systems can provide a lifecycle in excess of 100+ years. Slate roof systems are:
- Durable and long lasting lifecycle
- Environmentally safe
- Unaffected by freeze/thaw cycles
- Requires minimal annual maintenance
- Resistant to pollutants and acid rain
- Non-combustible and fireproof
- Resistant to hail and other impact damage
- Available in a wide variety of sizes and unfading or weathering colors
- Non-combustible, resists fire, storm and wind
- Waterproof, natural stone
- Wide range of color combination
- Effective appearance from texture, exposure and color
- Little or no maintenance cost
- Will not retain snow or ice
- Resists climatic changes
- Reduces insurance premiums
- Long life
- Accidental breakage easily replaced
Have more questions about slate roofs? Contact us today.
Project Example Using DaVinci Roofscapes Slate Tiles in Illinois
About A.B. Edward Enterprises, Inc.
Since 2003 A.B. Edward Enterprises, Incorporated has been providing Chicagoland homeowners with products and installations in the roofing, siding, windows and gutters industry. A.B. Edward has an unblemished A+ Better Business Bureau rating, an Angie’s List Super Service Award Company, and also delivers top industry leading products such as GAF, James Hardie Siding Products, Pella Windows and Doors, DaVinci Roofscapes, Mastic Exterior Siding and more. Today, the family-owned and operated business proudly employs more than 30 people, and our services go well beyond roofing to include, masonry, insulation, decks, exterior painting, stucco, carpentry and more.
A.B. Edward Enterprises, Inc.
414 Mercantile Court
Wheeling, IL 60090
Office: (847) 827-1605
Fax: (847) 827-1812